Knowing what makes you happy can turn heartbreak on its head, a frown upside down or generally help put a hard week behind you.
100 Happy Days – a challenge encouraging participants to post a photo every day of something that made them happy, reports that ‘seventy-one percent of people who tried to complete the challenge failed, quoting lack of time as the main reason.’ It poses the uncomfortable question: ‘These people simply did not have time to be happy. Do you?’
I’m not about to embark on this 100-day challenge. I’m actually not sure I do have the time. Plus the threat of failure would probably eliminate any happiness from the entire process!
What I am going to do however, is share with you one of my tricks for staying happy. I have at my disposal a cumulative list of things that make me happy that I can dip into whenever I’m in need of a lift. Sometimes it may be cake – interestingly the word tiramisu literally means pick me up!
Other times a listen to a bit of Pharrell Williams Happy while doing a spot of shoulder shrugging may be all that’s needed.
Whatever it is that’s getting me down, doing something on my list can almost always shake off a slump, so I thought I’d share part of it with you. Some of the things that make me happy are:
- Dancing round my room
- Organising clutter, or if I don’t have the energy then googling storage options
- Candlelit bubble baths accompanied by classical music
- Watching old movies, especially with Fred Astaire
- Listening to jazz – Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald
- Drinking hot chocolate with extra marshmallows
- Spending time with family especially my nieces and nephew
- Eating macaroons or Turkish Delight
- Watching YouTube videos of bad lip reading
- Dunking biscuits in tea
- Chatting to a best friend
- Playing the piano
- Learning to do something new
- Watching a Disney movie
- Ticking something off a to-do list
- Getting into freshly cleaned sheets
- Challenging friends to their loudest laugh in a public place
- Going on a shopping spree
- Chatting to someone about something they’re passionate about
- Having a whole afternoon to read a magazine
- Planning what nails to paint
- Painting my nails
- Having painted nails! Especially when I complete a set that was particularly intricate like my Mickey and Minnie Mouse nails.
Those are just a few things that make me happy. I have a Pinterest board called My Favourite Things so I can always find inspiration. When I need cheering up, I’ll work out which options I have the time, the energy or the money for and decide from there.
Do you have a list? What lifts you up when you’re feeling down?
My latest nails are the biggest pick me up so here they are in case they can brighten your day too!
I think the Lost Boys had it right – ‘think happy thoughts and you can fly!’
Have a great day!